Skip to main content

Choosing to File a Complaint

If you are unsure if you want to file a formal complaint, we are happy to discuss your options with you without hearing all the details of your story. Whether you decide to file a formal complaint, you can still access Title IX interim measures, including accommodations and support services. 

Possible Interim Measures

  • Changes to academic, living, dining, working or transportation situations.
  • Obtaining and enforcing a university-issued no contact directive.
  • Medical assistance, including information about preserving evidence.
  • Safety planning and notifying law enforcement if that is desired by the reporting student.
  • Referrals to on and off campus resources, including victim advocates, mental health services and counseling.

No-Contact Directives

A no-contact directive is an administrative action to prevent contact between two or more individuals on campus. The scope of no-contact directives are determined on a case-by-case basis, but can include in-person contact or contact through electronic means or a third party. A no-contact directive should not be confused with a protective order, which is issued by the courts.

Anonymous Reports

While anonymous reports can provide information about high-risk areas, they usually do not provide enough information to take action. We encourage you to provide complete information. Providing a report does not automatically start an investigation. But it does ensure the Title IX Coordinator can reach out to a victim and offer resources and information.